Thursday, September 25, 2008

New Shopping Experience

I decided it was time to graduate from stuffing a sock in the bra to using an actual breast prosthesis, so I got on-line. Gee! Something new to shop for! And good heavens! How many different things you need to consider - size, nipple or no nipple, color, tear drop shape or round shape, silicone or fabric, full weight or light weight. I had no idea there was so much involved. I should just have my daughter help me out. She has been running around stuffing balls of rolled up toilet paper under her shirt and displaying a C cup! Oh boy. I am just not ready for that yet. Back to shopping.

I finally picked a fabric prosthesis as they advertised they were sooo much more comfortable. However, I have already realized that I won't be able to swim with it, so that means getting another prosthetic for that purpose. Gee, a fashion statement. A boob for regular wear, for swimming and probably need one special for when I work out. How about for that night out on the town?

The good news is that my hair is growing back! Everywhere! Sob. I am going to have to shave my underarms and legs pretty soon. I had my brows waxed just the other day to give them some shape. I am able to wear mascara once again even though my lashes are still pretty stubby. I have eyes! And I have short stubble on my head! The kids and Paul like to rub my head as they walk by. Make a wish!

Radiation treatments will be starting this Monday. I am supposed to go in every day except for weekends to get zapped, for a total of 6 1/2 weeks. I have heard that everyone seems to have a different response to this treatment. Aloe Vera 100% lotion is recommended to be used during this time and hopefully the area will not get too sunburned and painful. Some people have said that they didn't have too much trouble, the lotion helped, and others found that they still got sunburned towards the end and it was quite painful. I may have purchased my prosthetic a little too soon as it might just aggravate the area even more.

And then there is the tiredness that you start having about halfway through the 6 1/2 weeks. This is due to the fact that the radiation treatment is destroying cells, both good and bad. The cancer cells can't replicate their DNA and make new cells, but our good cells can. So it is understandable that one would be getting pretty tired if their body is constantly having to rebuild for this length of time.

These next 6 1/2 weeks are supposed to be the final stage of treatment to fighting the cancer. It is supposed to be the easiest compared to the chemotherapy and surgery. Okay, I'm ready. Bring it on!

No comments: