Friday, June 20, 2008

Six down, two to go

When I showed up for my chemotherapy treatment this week my doctor said that I must be still deciding to continue with treatments as I was there. I told him that I remembered him saying that I probably wouldn't be as sore the second time with this chemo treatment, and so I was willing to give it another try. He then proceeded to tell me that the 3rd and 4th treatments would be even better. Oh, he's good.

This time around they didn't give me as many drugs before the chemo so I wasn't knocked out as much and it was more easily tolerated. I felt great that evening, had a nice dinner and even felt good the next day until after I had my white cell booster shot which then caused me to have back and neck aches that evening. I am now having some achiness, but it hasn't been bad and has been kept in check with Tylenol Extra Strength so far. I am hoping that the doctor is right and that I don't have a lot of achiness this weekend like I did from the last treatment.

My doctor said that as we are getting close to finishing up the chemotherapy I need to make an appointment with my surgeon and start planning on when surgery will be. He would like me to have it 2-3 weeks after my last chemo session. He also seemed to think that I would do just fine with lumpectomy and lymph node dissection. Yeah! Now I just need to convince my surgeon of that option. I understand that she leans more towards mastectomies. I may have to switch surgeons if she can't see my point of view!

I have a mammogram and MRI scheduled next week so that my surgeon can see where everything is as my tumor is no longer palpable and the lymph nodes are considerably reduced. I am told that after all this I will still need to go through radiation therapy to kill off any cancer cells that may not have been surgically removed, but that will be approximately a month after the surgery.

No comments: