Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday and still doing better

My appetite is getting back to normal and I am looking forward to putting some of the pounds back on that I lost this last week. If this keeps up I will need to get a new wardrobe. However, I might have a reverse affect with the weight after I start the new doses of chemo in June as I understand they don't have the nausea side effects. So I had better hold off on any new wardrobe purchases for the time being.

I received a 'book' from my daughter Taryn for an early Mother's Day gift. She had drawn pictures on each page illustrating a title for each page. 'My mom is the nicest when Austin and I are not fighting.' The next pages were a little more illuminating. 'My mom is prettiest when she wears her wigs and scarves.' Hmmmmm. 'My mom is the proudest when Austin and I are getting along.' Okay, that's good. 'My mom is the sleepiest when she takes her pills.' Oh good. Now I'm a junkie. However, she finished it off with 'You are the best mom a child could have.' Obviously she is focusing on this cancer more than I thought.

I read in the newspaper this morning where we lack vitamin D in this part of the country. That we need to get at least 15-20 minutes of sun on our arms, legs and face or back three times a week, without sunscreen. Lack of vitamin D causes fractures, doubles your chance of breast and prostate cancer, increases your chance of diabetes or worsens your control if you already have it, and causes immune deficiency. I know in the last couple of years it seems that I have been more inside than out and definitely not getting enough sun fix. That will have to change. Just waiting for the sun now.

I have been trying to go vegan (as dairy and meat are linked to several diseases) with my diet so vegan French toast is on our menu this morning. This is made with bananas, soy milk, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. I think it will be a winner, but the kids will have the final say. :)

No comments: